Junior Lifeguard Program Session 1
The American Red Cross Jr. Lifeguard course is designed to teach water safety skills as well as introduce youth to the duties and responsibilities of a lifeguard. This course will not certify anyone as a lifeguard, only build a foundation of knowledge, attitude and skills in preparation of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Course.
- Participants must be able to complete the water competency sequence without stopping:
- Step into the water and totally submerge.
- Maintain position in water for 1 minute by treading water or floating (or a combination of the two)
- Rotate one full turn and orient to the exit.
- Level off and swim on front or back 25 yards.
- Exit without using ladder or steps
- Swim the breaststroke 25 yards using the pull, breath, kick, glide sequence.
- Submerge feet-first or head-first and swim under water a distance of 10 feet.